Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mushroom & Pork Curry

Pin It
How can you make a whole day working on a group project for university fun?
By choosing a subject that really interests you so the joy comes by itself? Haha. No.

By not making the day about work but food, silly!

Mushroom-Pork Curry

That's exactly what happened when I met with two friends of mine for working on our project.
The only downside to this otherwise AWESOME method is that the working part might be getting a raw deal. I mean, we did manage to get the job done in the end. It just took a while. No regrets.

Caro, being just as much of a food enthusiast as my humble self (I detest the term 'Foodie' for so many reasons), has been very supportive since the moment I have mentioned that I am going to start food blogging. In fact, she is the one who provided us with this particular recipe from one of her cookbooks and suggested to write a post about it on the blog, even offering me to use her well superior camera for the photos. The only reason why I agreed on coo Who could say no to that, right? ;) So whenever a post offers pictures in a better quality than usually – you know at who's place I am.

Mushroom-Pork Curry
Chocolate-Mint Tea with mint from my garden


Cooking with anyone else but yourself gives it whole different feeling. It is not just you and the ingredients anymore. You (might) win time, but lose a bit of control. It was a different kitchen, different utensils, a different management of space. 
 I have found myself in situations where I was completely stressed out because the “cooking chemistry” just did not work out. People not really knowing what they are doing (not like that never happens to me), having the will but not the skill, people arguing over the right way of doing something and one person trying to keep the upper hand over that whole big mess.

There is a reason why people say that too many cooks spoil the broth and it is oh so true, even literally.

Been there, done that. However, you gain something even from those situations. You learn a bit about yourself and others, how you handle things and hopefully grow through the experience.

Mushroom-Pork Curry

Mushroom-Pork Curry

This time, it was different. There were us three, happily doing our tasks, chatting away about food and preferences, learning new skills and tips from one another and at the end, indulging in what we have just prepared together. Basically, we were getting inspired and having a good time.

Sometimes, it just works and sometimes it does not.

This time, it did. And the result was this mouthwatering, just slightly hot Indian curry.

Mushroom-Pork Curry



Mushroom & Pork Curry
adapted from here. Serves 4.


  • 750g (26.5 oz.) pork loin
  • 3 tbsp Oil
  • 2 onions, cut in rings (we chopped them into dices)
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed (we chopped them up, as well)
  • 2,5cm (1 inch) piece of ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 fresh green chili peppers, chopped up and seeds removed (we only used one red chili pepper because Caro, while being a sucker for Indian food, cannot handle the heat. Yeah, I also found that amusing), or 1-2 TS of chili flakes.
  • 1 1/2 tbsp medium hot yellow curry paste
  • 1 ts ground coriander seeds
  • 200-250g mushrooms, cut into thick slices
  • 900ml (3 4/5 cups or 30.4 fl. oz.) chicken or vegetable-broth (we used the latter)
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2-1 ts salt
  • 50g (1.8 oz.) coconut cream (we used about 100g because, you know... the heat)
  • 2 tbsp ground almonds (we used 100g simply because we did not want to let the rest of the package come to waste and because, you know... the heat)
  • Basmati rice to serve

Garnish:
We omitted the garnish and only used sliced chili peppers

  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, cut in slices
  • 6 scallions
  • 1 ts cumin seeds 

  1. Cut pork in bite-sized pieces.
  2. Heat up oil in a pan, sauté pork, stirring continuously. Set aside.
  3. Add onions, garlic, ginger, chili peppers, curry paste and coriander seeds to the pan, sauté slightly for 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, broth and tomatoes plus salt.
  4. Add meat again, cook on low heat for 75-90 minutes or until meat is tender.
  5. Stir in coconut cream and almonds and let it keep cooking on low heat covered for further 3 minutes.

For the garnish:
  1. Heat up oil in a pan.
  2. Add scallions and bell pepper, sweat before stirring in cumin. Cook for another 30 seconds.
  3. Spread over curry and serve with rice.


Enjoy!

Mushroom-Pork Curry
Om. Nom. Nom.

You know what else feels a bit different when doing with others around? Taking photos of the dish! You feel a bit ludicrous taking the pictures while the rest is watching, indulging in what you have just prepared.

13 comments:

  1. Drool..... I don't even eat *spicy* curry but your photo and story with friends give such a comforting feeling. Your photo with purple background is gorgeous! Curry is a very difficult object to photograph too. Oh also I love your mint tea shot - really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! I don't really cook with other people often, and though it's fun most of the time, there are many reasons why it's so much easier to cook alone!

    Your curry looks delicious!!! I don't have any group projects for uni (yet...) but if I did, I'd love to be with people who like food as much as I do and cook together like you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazing! I am loving your blog...officially subscribed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to agree on the mint shot — it made me do a double take. The curry sounds incredible and I cannot wait to make it! Kudos and cheers to you and your awesome friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tobias thank you for your kind words left on my couscous post.
    Totally tempted with your divine curry dish!
    Love your mint tea shot ... I meant both tea and the click.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is a good occasion to finally leave a comment here *Giving myself a pat on the back*
    I can only confirm that both the curry and our so-called "working day" were absolutely great!! We should certainly do it this way more often, because the result of our university group project was a really good one in the end ;)

    And of course, my camera is always looking forward to do great shots for such a nice purpose :)
    (.. With me looking forward to eat all the stuff even more :D)

    I'll get my new lens on sunday, thus future photos maybe will be even better :)

    Keep on writing such enjoyable postings,
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all the nice comments!
    Yes, the shot with the tea really was a lucky one. :)

    Caro,
    HA! yes it was! I bet it was all because of the good food! ;)
    Have fun with your new lens and you need to show me some photos for comparison!

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful curry...and love the shot of the tea! I grow chocolate mint in my garden as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you; personally I like to cook alone but appreciate having someone there to help clean up! :)
    This curry looks delicious and I would love it, once the cooler temperatures are in place here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos of curry are amazing... I always find it challenging to shoot curry or some Asian food with lots of gravy. Eventhough I dont take pork but your curry looks good.
    I agree with everyone comments above... love the mint tea click :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds and looks fantastic! I love your photography. SO mouthwatering. I've never made curry with pork before. This is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a terrific curry! Your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete

I am eager to know what you have to say! Feed me comments.